Monday, March 4, 2019

Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf - an Apostle, Ministering, and Baptisms!

I am doing well this week (week starting Monday, Feb. 25th). It was pretty busy but great. It was neat to be able to chat with my family at home the last couple of weeks on our prep-day.
Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles came to São Paulo and Salvador Brazil on a nine-day assignment to visit with the missionaries, church leaders and member families here! What a wonderful blessing. We had a few missions in São Paulo, Interlagos meet as a large group to hear his message. It was super exciting as I was able to shake his hand and speak with him briefly! It was a wonderful, spiritual experience for me! The presence of the Spirit was super strong! I didn't get to talk to him for very long but his message was a great inspiration to all the missionaries in attendance! Part of his message was that we as full-time missionaries need to always try and help the Savior baptize to make not only members of the church but help in creating disciples of Christ. He said that our missions in Brazil, we baptize but we need to remember that it is not just about the number but the helping of the soul to endure to the end! Also, he talked a lot about gratitude and how when we are thankful in all things we find more peace and power in this life to love and endure to the end with joy.
As a missionary hard times will come to them on a mission; those times have come to me periodically. Yet, they come to help missionaries understand, to a very small portion of what the Savior has gone through for each of Heavenly Father's children. Sometimes doubt, or lack of faith 'creeps' into the work.  President Acosta has told the missionaries that the Lord knows that excellent missionary work is going forth and that the Savior loves each of them! But that they are to remember that this work is not whether they are sufficient enough, but that it is about the Lord and the power he has to do all things. President Acosta told the story of Laman and Lemeul and the difference between them and Nephi. He said that they were all obedient; all had the same successes and difficulties; the same potential - everything was the same. The only difference was the fact that Nephi recognized the Lord and instead of complaining and letting doubt or lack of faith creep in, Nephi looked to the Lord, loved the Savior even more and was thankful. President Uchdortf talked about similar things when he spoke to us. I am now even more thankful and prayerful; giving more thanks and remembering what was said.
Now that I am here on the mission I know that there are people that needed me here and the adversary did not want me to come to find them. I know that there are many of God's children, here in Brazil and throughout the world that still need the help the Savior can give and it rests with the members of his church and that have a testimony of his Gospel and the missionaries to share it! God always, and I mean always qualifies those he calls. There is a Scripture in D&C that says when we are called and labor in the Lord's vineyard you are qualified for the work - whom the Lord calls, he qualifies.
A man named Fabio is scheduled to be baptized this coming week! He is the nephew of a member! We have been working and fighting to get him to church for about three weeks. He always said,  "I am not the kind of man that goes to church." But he went this week and loved it! We found out his brother that passed away had actually been baptized as well.

Ryan's Baptism!

Rafael's Baptism!
One thing that is the really great thing about a mission is when one is set apart as a missionary you are given the power and gifts of the Spirit to help those that you will come in contact with. I have seen many times on my mission where I felt guidance to teach a certain lesson at the initial contact and it has been an answer to someones prayer. I know that the lesson you need to teach comes to your mind from the Spirit!
Rafael was baptized this past week! Also, Ryan, he was baptized the week prior to last week! These are young men that we found while talking with and contacting people in the rain. There is another man we found making contacts in the rain this past week.
I guess the rain is a blessing in disguise. I think of it that way, yet it rains lots here - that means lots of blessings and many to talk with! I am truly blessed to serve the Lord here in Brazil! God bless all of you!




7 And in this place let them lift up their voice and declare my word with loud voices, without wrath or doubting, lifting up holy hands upon them. For I am able to make you holy, and your sins are forgiven you
(D & C 60:7).

60 Verily, verily, I say unto you who now hear my words, which are my voice, blessed are ye inasmuch as you receive these things;
61 For I will forgive you of your sins with this commandment—that you remain steadfast in your minds in solemnity and the spirit of prayer, in bearing testimony to all the world of those things which are communicated unto you.
62 Therefore, go ye into all the world; and unto whatsoever place ye cannot go ye shall send, that the testimony may go from you into all the world unto every creature (D & C 84:60-62).

88 And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up (D & C 84:88).


No comments:

Post a Comment