Monday, January 21, 2019

How Great Shall Be Your Joy!

What an awesome week!I don't know if you both remember Sandro? We had searched him out the first month that I was here in the Cidade Vargas area of São Paulo. We were preparing him to be baptized, although he did not feel prepared because of some very difficult challenges he was having in his life - trials that he was going through. It had been about five months of trying to help him realize that baptism is not for those that are perfect or when things are going well but the step we must take especially in these hard times. We found him leaving work last week and I bore my testimony to him at that time. I told him that there was nothing left that we could do to help but that all he needed was to exercise his faith. I promised him the blessings of his Heavenly Father would come to him and promised him that he would receive the answer he was looking for. He always told me that when the day came that he was ready, he would call me and tell me to start preparing everything for him to be baptized. This week I received a phone call. He said on the phone, "Smart, remember when I told you I would call you when the day comes? I am calling to tell you that it came - I am ready." We prepared everything and he was able to be baptized this past Friday, January 18th!
We have also been teaching a man named Washington that we had prepared to be baptized with a man named Fernando some time ago. After several days, we were never able to find him home again. Then some time went by; after a few weeks of not seeing him or talking with him his name came to my mind. The next day, as we passed by a city park we saw him sitting with a group of his friends. We were a bit nervous to approach him in front of his friends thinking that he would ignore us and make fun of us; not wanting to hear our message again. Because of this fear we just kept going and didn't speak with him, but I felt deep down that that was not the right choice. We stopped, prayed that God would help him to speak to us if it is God's will. We wanted to help him know more about the truth. We passed by again, he turned his head and saw us. We talked with him then and scheduled a time to meet. We taught him what was left of the discussions this past week!  He was able to be baptized on this past Friday with Sandro! They both thanked us for being their angels and never giving up on them. What great joy Sister Ferres and I felt. When Sandro was in the font, he looked at me and smiled with the biggest smile I had ever seen from him. I love to see the joy the gospel brings to those that allow it to come into their lives. This next week we are planning to baptize the siblings of Flavia; Ruan, and Isabelle! Her family has come back to church two weeks in a row. They are now more active and involved! We were also able to take Eduardo, Jonathan, and a man named Benedito to church! We are so busy, yet loving every bit of it!  I know that sometimes God requires the divine trait of patience, but I know that he will always do his part. I know that the Gospel changes lives and this work is the happiest work there is.





This past week we had six sister missionaries, and Sister Ferres and I in our tiny apartment staying overnight - so crazy. It is hot and Summer here in Brazil. When we have time, we do fun Summer stuff on our p-day or preparation day - and better yet with members or investigators. I was able to fly a kite with one of our investigators, Marcio which was pretty darn fantastic! My birthday this week will be different this year - I can not believe I am that old! Thanks for the birthday wishes. Have a great week.



15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me! (Doctrine and Covenants 18:15–16)

No comments:

Post a Comment